University of Hawaii
The L-shaped John Young Gallery is located within a wing of the historic Krauss Hall building, which was constructed in 1931. The gallery was designed in consultation with the artist and donor to house his collection of Asian and Primitive art. The gallery is a free-flowing space, subdivided by partial width colored panels and movable casework. A series of translucent sliding panels that resemble modern versions of Japanese shoji screens controls extraneous light entering the gallery from the small double-hung windows. The interior treatment is relatively spare, with gypsum board walls and ceiling and a maple floor.
Envisioned as an extension of the gallery, the adjacent courtyard features stone pieces from the collection integrated into the water features, rock wall and landscaping.
Award of Merit, 2002